Thursday, January 13, 2011

Potty Training Update!

Potty training can be a little overwhelming! Yesterday I THOUGHT we were doing really well. No major accidents, so I thought to myself 3 days must be some kind of a record...then I was going to bed and we smelled something awful. Uh-oh.
Ruark has been getting really embarrassed when he has an accident. Plus he gets really upset because he doesn't get any candy if he doesn't make it in the potty. So apparently he pooped somewhere in my house and then stashed it under my bed because he didn't want us to know. GROSS! Yes, I WILL be sterilizing my carpets thoroughly this weekend!
My sweet friend Amy sent me a message with so many GREAT ideas for potty training, I thought I would share for all you moms out there who are embarking on this same journey with me!
First idea was to figure out what motivates your child. Ruark was easy CANDY! This kid LOVES LOVES LOVES sugar, I don't know where he get it. :) So for me it was an easy thought to use that for his treat when he goes potty. When he goes potty, you hear a big shout "YAY....CANDY!!" He knows every time he goes potty he gets some candy. Amy gave her kids 2 pieces or candy if they "tried" to go and 5 pieces of candy if they went potty.
One of her friends went to the dollar store and picked up a bunch of random toys like cars, stickers and candy and then wrapped them all and put them in a basket. The first time they went potty they got a prize then it was every two and so on. I LOVE this idea.
She said jump, cheer and praise them when they go. Call grandma, anything to get them excited to want to do it again. Another thing that helped her was to have another child who is about the same age and is potty trained to come over and show them how to do it. It helped her kids to see other little people being potty trained.
Another thing she did was go to the store and pick out a prize, for her daughter it was a doll. The doll had to stay in the bathroom but she could hold her in the package if she was sitting on the potty. She only got the doll after she went poop and pee on the same day. I'm going to the toy store tonight!
Also give them A LOT of liquid to encourage them to go, and don't get too stressed. Potty training is like a roller coaster. Some days I am so happy and other days I am so frustrated I want to cry and give up. But I'm looking forward to a few months without doing diapers! Even if it does mean I'll be doing more laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment