Monday, July 5, 2010

Instrument in the Lord's Hands


I have a good friend and neighbor who offered to give me piano lessons for free!! She is an AMAZING teacher and I am learning so quickly! It has always been a dream of mine to play the piano. This picture is acutally a piano I bought when I first started playing, but it was never sent so Ebay refunded my money, so for now I'm playing on a keyboard.

When Chase and I were first married I got a phone call from the Primary Presidency, they said they had really been praying about who should fulfill this calling and they told me they felt very strongly that I should be piano player for the Primary, they asked if I would except this calling....

....

....

SILENCE

...

...

"I would never turn down a calling, but I don't know how to play the piano," was the only thing I could reply. They couldn't believe it because they had felt so strongly that this was to be my calling. They told me they must have been mistaken.


FAST FORWARD


1 month ago I was sitting in the Bishop's office getting a team teaching calling in the Primary, teaching CTR 5. When they asked if I could play the piano, I laughed and told them the story of what happened nearly 5 years before. The 1st counselor of my Bishopric relayed a very interesting story that happened years ago when he was in the Bishopric back East.


This particular ward needed a new piano player for the congregation, every Sunday. The Bishopric prayed and felt very strongly about a young man. They called him in and asked if he would accept this calling...he sat there in shock and said yes.


What the Bishopric did not know was this young man had never played the piano before. Monday morning he set up piano lessons and picked up beginning books. Each week he learned a new song to play and would play for the congregation, but eventually he was able to play a list of songs. They offered to release him because there were many piano players in the ward, he declined feeling that he was needed to fulfill this calling.


He challenged me to start learning to play. That was all it took, I started that week. Janina and I start out every lesson with a prayer and I truly believe the spirit is helping me understand and progress far more quickly than I could have ever hoped on my own. I am so thankful for this opportunity to develop new talents. Now I'm just hoping to be an instrument in the Lord's hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment